[opendtv] An M/H calculation

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 22:06:27 -0800

I've had a chance to calculate how many bits per second would be devoted to
MPEG-2 transport packets were a broadcaster to devote as much of their
transport stream to M/H services.  It is 4,572,160 bits per second.  Reserve
150 kbps per second for PSI/PSIP (if you are using EtherGuide Emissary) or
400 kbps if using Triveni Guide Builder, and with some allowance for null
packets, and you have something North of 4 Mbps.

Let me emphasize that this is what would be the bits remaining were a
broadcaster to transmit the maximum number of bits per second permitted for
ATSC M/H which is 14,197,760 bps.

The other end of the spectrum - how many bps could be devoted to main
service with the minimum M/H configuration requires more extensive
calculations and discussion of features and options, so that will have to
wait for "another day."

It's possible to transmit at least one SD feed and perhaps two (with some
tweaking) in 4 mb/second.