[opendtv] Re: Amazon to ban sales of Apple TV, Google Chromecast to boost Prime Video

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <brewmastercraig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2015 00:36:02 -0400

On Oct 3, 2015, at 6:58 PM, Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

But they didn't, for example, support Netflix at first. Or cbs.com for the
longest time (years).

Sorry, but that's just wrong. The first Stand alone Apple TV box was introduced
in September 2010 with Netflix support. Earlier versions of Apple TV were an
accessory to Macs.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/09/01Apple-Premieres-New-Apple-TV-for-Breakthrough-Price-of-99.html

CBS.com is a website; it has always been accessible via the Mac. CBS introduced
an App for iOS in 2013. They added support for Apple TV in 2014.

The major reason for the delay on iOS was the years that CBS held onto Flash
rather than updating to h.264 and HTML5.

Blame Apple if you want, but anyone can develop Apps...

Just as Amazon has done for iOS.

Do you really not get what I'm saying, Craig? I'm saying that Amazon is
playing exactly the same shut-in-your-ecosystem game that Apple plays all the
time. When Apple is on the receiving end, you seem to object. When Apple is
the perpetrator, you think it's just a good "business model."

Sorry, but I don't buy that crap.

Apple opened up iTunes to PCs in 2003.

By the way, Amazon also stopped selling Chromecast.

You need to get over this idea that the TV world is "open." Everything is about
deals and licensing, there has been plenty of crap perpetrated by everyone,
including network NON neutrality by shutting down devices like Google TV.

BTW, because Microsoft now builds the same OS for handheld devices and for
PCs (Windows 10), I can get all the same "apps" for my PC as can, for
example, Windows Phone. So yesterday, I saw an ad for the CBS "app" at
cbs.com. I downloaded the CBS app and the CBS News app, just to see how they
differed from the regular browser version of cbs.com.

Turns out that they look very similar, but what is offered is a little
different. The CBS app only allows next day viewing of full length episodes
if you're subscribed to CBS All Access. Cbs.com allows next day viewing for
all episodes, free. But on the other hand, cbs.com does not allow access to a
lot of the library material, or to older episodes of current series, unless
you subscribe to CBS All Access. While the CBS app makes the older episodes
free, and also some of the library material.

Microsoft has the right idea. Make access to material device-neutral. That's
the way it's historically been in radio and TV, and then later also over the
Internet. That's the way it needs to remain. Equipment vendors should serve
their customers, i.e. the consumers, first. Not last. That's why they're
called CE companies. The C does not mean "collusion." It means "consumer."

Interesting. Apple makes this easy. Anyone can develop an App. It's up to the
content owner what they want to offer via an App, whether it is for Google
Play, Windows or iOS.