[opendtv] Re: Aereo issues

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 07:40:13 -0400

On Sep 16, 2013, at 6:54 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But what's interesting to me is that Aereo took the blame for the problems.
> This implies that Aereo determined ISP capacity was not the issue, rather it
> was the capacity of their servers.

I agree that the problem was the Aereo servers. The problem that Aereo faces is
that they are charging EACH subscriber for access to their PERSONAL antenna -
thus a unicast is required to meet "the letter of the law." If they set up a
multicast, they would become an MVPD, and would cross the fine line they are
walking as a personal antenna service.

The ISPs in this case are primarily telcos. I suspect that their networks would
feel the pain if ANY of their subscribers could access the game (I.e. no Aereo
subscription required).

> The fact that ISP capacity may not have been a problem is actually huge,
> Craig. Installing servers that can support more unicast sessions, or more
> mirrored servers, is a technique that's well understood. Reminds me that it
> was also hard it was to get Microsoft updates, back in the early Windows
> days. Although of course ultimately, if everyone starts watching sports as IP
> streams, the ISP nets could also saturate.

The problem was not huge because it was limited to Aereo subscribers. Aereo can
scale their servers, but the ISPs cannot scale the spectrum they use if demand
increases significantly. Broadcast LTE is one possible solution. The telcos
could do this, but they would need to obtain the rights for the game from the
NFL. Broadcasters could use their spectrum for Broadcast LTE, however, the NFL
will likely want more money to offer this service.

>> 2. Broadcasters have a viable option for survival - Focus on the mobile
>> devices that need an affordable wireless option to fill their screens.
>
> You mean, "beat Aereo at its own game," by deploying their own IP servers in
> each market? Or do you mean, bypass the ISP networks and broadcast the
> content direct to the mobile devices?

The second approach. Multicasts delivered via Broadcast LTE are the logical use
of their spectrum in urban markets where spectrum reuse is critical. And
Broadcast LTE would ALSO make it possible to serve fixed receivers with simple
indoor antennas in most areas. In rural areas broadcasters could use big sticks
with multicasts via Broadcast LTE.

> I've already agreed to the former, assuming broadcasters can get the rights
> to do so. Of course, this wouldn't solve the technical issue. The
> broadcasters' servers would also have to be up to the task.
>
> The latter, I have no idea why the cellcos would suddenly change their tune.
> Bypassing their networks means the cellco isn't getting paid for carrying
> those bits.

OH WE'LL. in the long run this will only work using Broadcast LTE. The telcos
could offer this if they could obtain the rights, or the broadcasters could
wake up and build an infrastructure that is in tune with modern realities.

Big stick DVB-T2 does nothing to reach the mobile audience, as it will require
another tuner in mobile devices, which ain't gonna happen.

>> I wonder how many people tried to watch an NFL game on an ATSC mobile
>> (M/H) receiver?
>
> Whatever the answer, that sure would have taken the load off the Aereo
> servers, eh?

More than that, it would eliminate the need for the Aereo service and that
monthly subscriber fee. Then again, with the BMX technology Mark is promoting,
broadcasters could charge for the mobile service on a per game or season ticket
basis.

The tricky part is not the technology...

It is negotiating for the rights.