[opendtv] Re: Adobe in Push to Spread Web Video to TV Sets

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:40:28 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> An interesting article, but NO mention of h.264, which is being used
> by YouTube and Apple. Then again, it's only software...
>
> If you can do Flash you can do Silerlight and h.264. via software
> decode.

I'm not sure what was newsworthy about that article, to tell you the
truth. Anyone who does any web TV viewing has long been aware that you
need several different software packages to view this stuff, including
Flash, WMP, Silverlight, decreasingly QuickTime, and some proprietary
decoders such as the one used by ABC. And every time I spend time trying
different sites, I find more changes and more software requirements than
I used to need.

That's part of the nuisance of viewing TV online. It's not at all
unusual to discover that one of your sites suddenly decided to upgrade
its software, so you have to spend time searching for and loading the
new software. RAI recently went to Flash 10 and abolished its WMP
options. The upgrade to Flash 10 wasn't even a straightforward upgrade.
I had to go to the Adobe troubleshooting site to discover that in some
cases, it would only install correctly if you first manually uninstalled
the older version. ABC keeps updated its proprietary viewer again some
time ago, so that too would become a chore if I really cared.

In short, this is exactly what is WRONG with pretending that TVs should
be more like PCs. It's more the other way around. If TV on the web
expects to be successful, it's high time they quit their silly
shenanigans and agree on some common and somewhat stable standards.