[opendtv] Re: Ad supported TV: A question for Bert

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 17:05:46 -0800

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Albert Manfredi
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And also, I'd have no problem at all with a law, rule, or whatever, that
> would make it illegal for CE vendors to incorporate intelligent ad skipping.
> It's not so hard to understand that it is the ads that pay for the material.
> At least, it is in FOTA programs.

How quaint. We are well past the point of no return now. CE
manufacturers and pay TV networks know that they will lose customers
to competitors should they be the first to block ad skipping
aggressively. Hence they look to other avenues (virtual billboards,
making expensive productions, targeting, whatever).

I dare say that if everyone started implementing this measure it would
be a good thing. Many people would simply stop watching TV, or watch
considerably less.

Cheers
Kon