[opendtv] Re: Ad supported TV: A question for Bert

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:46:32 -0800

Hey, guys, the ads are just not that interesting and, chances are, we have seen them a zillion times already. Why isn't it obvious that the per-minute value of an ad is *far* greater when the ad break is short? What advantage is there to making these breaks longer and longer? I don't get it.

I believe that it was last year that Fox ran very short breaks during a couple of shows and announced, just prior to the break, that the program would return in X seconds (typically 60 ). I found myself watching many of these breaks where I never watch when they are of a long format..

I assume that they were somehow tracking viewer response and found that it didn't achieve the intended results; whatever the criteria.

Dale

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>