[opendtv] Re: Ad supported TV: A question for Bert

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:47:29 -0800

"...not placed every 9 minutes in a TV program interrrupting the continuity
of the show." --Cliff Benham

Every nine minutes?  More like every few for some programs.

I like the news program CBS Sunday Morning and watch it every Sunday,
enjoying the unsensatialness and the extended insights compared to regular
news.  But they'll have a 5 minute story then go to a series of
commercials, then a 1 minute promo for what is on Face the Nation, then
another series of commercials.  And at the beginning, they do a 1 to 2
minute intro for each story, adding another level of redundancy.  It gets
to be too much for even the most patient of souls.  No, the only way to
enjoy the show is to record it and skip all the bloat.

Another strong case of abuse was on New Years Eve when all channels went to
commercials, and stayed in commercials, up to about 120 seconds before the
countdown.  Shameless.

While I realize the advertisement must be there to pay for the show, they
need know that at some point the programmers are forcing us to skip ahead
or it just isn't worth it.  They really are abusing the gift of spectrum.

Dan