[opendtv] Accurian in RS (reformatted)

  • From: "Hunold, Ken" <KRH@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:31:17 -0400

I wish I knew what was up with the formatting of my replies...

========

On a lark, I called a Radio Shack here in NYC (10019) and they said they
had four in stock. I bought one and tried it out. In a non-scientific
test, it performed much better in the canyons of NYC than a first (I'm
sure) generation or a second (I think) generation receivers. It worked
quite well on the "right" side of the building (still no line of sight)
and remarkably well on the "wrong" side of the building (about 180
degrees from a proper heading.) In the suburban fringe it worked no
better than a third generation (again, I think) receiver, but that still
means 5 out of 6 full power VHF (existing NTSC) stations and several
other stations, too. I didn't count the one that doesn't pretend to emit
enough power to reach me. Although I didn't check this out in the
suburbs, perhaps I could pick up more stations simultaneously with an
omnidirectional UHF antenna (from the markets that I need to rotate my
antenna to receive now.)

I'll be keeping it, if only for the city. Well worth the 90 bucks!
Consider it another data point. Not all doom and gloom.

Ken