[opendtv] Re: Accurian DTV STB from Radio Shack

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:35:18 -0400

At 8:07 PM -0400 10/9/05, Mark Schubin wrote:
>CEA supports a hard date.
>
>I have heard from a D.C. insider whose opinions I respect that Senator
>Stevens is aware of the issue.  According to that report, that's why he
>is strongly opposing a 2007 date.  The report says he will push for a
>2009 date because he needs the theoretical $10 billion that will put
>into this year's budget bill, but that he will expect a later removal of
>that date as happened with the September 30, 2002 auction cut off that
>was written into the Balanced Budget Act of 1997.
>
>TTFN,
>Mark

Mark understands the politics here. We are in the midst of another
political cycle, which is going to pay for the 2006 elections.
Everyone should remember the lessons taught by RECENT history. Back
in 1995, the Telecommunications Act of 1996 was going to fix a
multitude of problems, brought about by the transition to digital
affecting everyone in the TV and telcom business. With much fanfare
the 1996 Act fell far short of the intended goals. It took only six
months to gut the DTV transition with the Balanced Budget Act of 1997.

The telcos, media conglomerates, and broadcasters are in play once
again. The Telecommunications Act of 2006 is going to fix
everything...again. It won't, but it WILL provide the ability for the
politicians to shake down the special interest for the money needed
to finance the 2006 elections, most of which will wind up in the
hands of...

Broadcasters.

What a great country!