[opendtv] Re: Accurian DTV STB from Radio Shack

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:20:50 -0400

At 6:44 PM -0400 10/9/05, Stephen W. Long wrote:
>How is it also possible for stores to be able to continue to sell analog
>only TV sets.  The stores are full of them.

Because they can.

Because there is STILL a huge market for them. And these sets will
KEEP WORKING after the NTSC transmitters shut down, no matter what
the source of signal:

- analog cable tiers
- subsidized digital STBs for cable and DBS
- Telcos anxious to grab subscribers from cable and DBS

>This is going to be ugly.  To really put the icing on the cake, we should
>shut off the analog transmitters on the Saturday midnight of Super Bowl
>weekend.  At nice touch don't you think?  SWL

I think everyone is making a big deal out of a mole hill here.

Are millions of illegal aliens going to march on the Capitol
demanding that NTSC service be restored?  Are the poor, who do not
currently subscribe to a multi-channel service - a very high
percentage do as they need something to do while sitting home all day
waiting for their government checks - going to start voting for
Republicans?

The reality is that the television landscape has changed forever. The
media conglomerates are the ones calling the shots theses days, and
they understand that the era of "Free TV" will FINALLY come to a
close when the NTSC transmitters are shut down. The conglomerates
know that people will pay for TV, even the poor.

The thing one needs to be asking now is: "What is the strategy of
broadcasters to help move these millions of NTSC laggards to DTV?"

Does anyone here believe that cheap set-top boxes, which only work
with an antenna, and offer no improved services over what the NTSC
laggards get today, is going to retain these viewers and help the
broadcasters to grow their market share?

Even government largess is not enough to protect those who seek to
control a marketplace that is undergoing fundamental changes.