[opendtv] Re: AW: Re: Some results - 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 15:45:47 -0400

Hans,

Thanks for clearing that up. I understand the current limitations you had to overcome in working with 1080p50. It's not a common production format, and as you pointed out hardware cross-converters are not common for the format.

I have long been a believer in 720p for emission, but I was just surprised that uncompressed 720p was found superior to uncompressed 1080i when upconverted to 1080p in the display.

One would assume you (EBU) included the uncompressed images as a control against the variable factor of compression, so I don't think one can discount the results totally. Intuitively, with identical horizontal pixel placement, I would have guessed that you could obtain superior 1080p from 1080i, rather than from 720p as your testers chose.

It leads one to want to explore when in the chain you can safely move into the 720p realm. Do you buy an oversampling camera but work in 720p, or do you work in 1080i exclusively for production and archive, and only convert to 720p during emission?

However, your results do speak volumes to those broadcasters who are using 720p as the emission format. It apparently cross-converts to 1080p nicely, and it should be ideal for native 720p displays as well.

John