[opendtv] AW: Re: Some results - 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: "Hoffmann, Hans" <hoffmann@xxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 20:58:58 +0200

John,

don't mix up the "demo" with the new subjective testing method using upper
and lower anchor.

In addition, about half the sequences I used were part of the SVT test set
(generated on 65mm film with 50 fps, then scanned to 2160p/50 and
downconverted to 1080p/50, 720p/50 and 1080i/25). Sequences are public
available. The other half came from the HDC1500.

But you are right the method of creating the interlaced signal is always a
problem. This was one of the compromisses I had to take, because I wanted to
have the same content in all three HDTV formats (and repetitive shooting was
a no-go). I simulated basically the field read out method when creating the
1080i/25 from 1080p/50. One could think about much more fancy methods - but
what is practical in CCD cameras today is field read out.

When you view the UNCOMPRESSED images on the matrix displays you have in the
720p/50 case the impact of the spatial upconversion and in the 1080i/25 case
the de-interlacing. In practical terms however it does NOT MATTER what the
results are for uncompressed. The important aspect is how the images are
perceived after emission encoding and presentation in the home. Here we have
the impact of the H.264/AVC encoder (we used the software encoder in coop
with the HHI, because of 1080p/50). You have seen the results.

Does this help?

Best wishes,
Hans