[opendtv] AVeL LinkPlayer2 DivX HD DVD Player

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:11:50 -0400

I-O DATA Brings First DivX Certified HD DVD Player to the Worldwide
Market; I-O DATA AVeL LinkPlayer2 Will Enable DivX Users to Play Back
High-Definition Video on HDTVs

13 October 2004, 08:01am ET

KANAZAWA, Japan & SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 13, 2004--I-O DATA
DEVICE, INC., a leading consumer electronics manufacturer, and
DivXNetworks, Inc., the company that created the patent-pending
DivX(R) video compression technology, today announced a partnership
to develop the AVeL LinkPlayer2, a DivX Certified(TM) High-Definition
(HD) DVD Player optimized for the high-resolution HDTV playback of
DivX video files. Earlier this year, I-O DATA became the first major
DivXNetworks partner to release a fully DivX Certified DVD player in
Japan, while the new AVeL LinkPlayer2 will be available worldwide in
November 2004.

The I-O DATA AVeL LinkPlayer2 will enable the most economical HD DVD
experience possible by allowing users to playback DivX HD content
recorded on standard red-laser DVD media. Premium HD content from
DivX content providers, Hollywood movie trailers encoded in DivX HD,
and archived HD broadcast content stored on PCs will all be
compatible on the AVeL LinkPlayer2. A sampling of DivX HD video
technology, which offers superior visual quality and compression
ratios, can be seen at www.divx.com/movies .

As a DivX Certified High Definition device, the AVeL LinkPlayer2 will
support playback of all versions of DivX video, including secure
video-on-demand content from DivXNetworks' content partners. DivX
technology, often called the "MP3 of video," is among the world's
most popular video compression technologies with over 130 million
global users. DivXNetworks launched its DivX Certification program
for consumer electronics devices to support the significant global
demand for DivX powered consumer electronics products. To achieve
DivX Certified status, a device must undergo a rigorous series of
tests to ensure high performance, strong visual quality and
interoperability with all versions of DivX video (DivX 3.xx, 4.xx and
5.xx).

http://finance.lycos.com/qc/news/story.aspx?story=200410131201_BWR__BW5298