[opendtv] Re: ATSC-SD vs. NTSC

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:44:44 -0500

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Now on the HD side, while similar problems are seen, at least the added
> detail help improve the picture over NTSC.  But I don't understand why
> digital SD does not look better.

Because the providers are:

1) using bad encoders

AND/OR

2) having their encoders set wrong

AND/OR

3) using less than say 6 Mb/sec

AND/OR

4) running a crappy analog feed into the encoders

You might not realize that some folks have digital plants,
then send an analog NTSC over their STLs, and then encode
a low-grade monitor NTSC output for their digital channel.

We have a local station that transmits two SD pictures
on their digital channel (CBS and UPN) and both look
just fine. Of course, they are having cable providers use
those feeds instead of their Ch. 3 analog, so they care.

Doug McDonald