[opendtv] Re: ATSC experience

  • From: Cliff Benham <cbenham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:50:01 -0500

It is favourable. I recorded the last Monday Night Football on S-VHS
from the Accurian S-video output.
The worst anomaly is the noise in the video added by the VCR.

Has anyone ever tried to invent a "Dolby"-like video noise reduction
system?

What would happen if you ran the video through a proc amp and raised the
black level to 27.5 IRE
(keeping the max white at 100 IRE),
recorded it that way on the tape and then reset the proc amp for 7.5 IRE
and 100 IRE for playback?
Would that push the video noise added by the VCR down below the black level
the way a Dobly B noise reducer does for audio?