[opendtv] Re: ATSC and Lip Sync

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 18:40:04 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> Nobody has shown any interest in implementing it but if
> multicasting was set up properly there would be little
> problem with 20 million simultaneous (720p HD) web viewers
> of a live Super Bowl.  Note this would be appointment Internet
> viewing, commercials and all, not on demand download.  But
> for something as popular as the Super Bowl it would probably
> be worth it.  I still believe there is a tier of Internet
> viewing that could have the same economy of scale as will
> popular network events if anybody actually allowed it to
> happen.

I think individual IPTV providers are using multicasting, and just like
you said, functionally it would look no different from cable or OTA
broadcast. By appointment, ads and all.

An IPTV provider is very much like a cable provider. They both have
their own, dedicated right-of-way. And in addition to that, these IPTV
walled gardens can add in their own proprietary ways of discovering who
the viewers of each IP multicast are, requiring some sort of
authentication before the viewer can access the multicast, and also
charge for viewing, if they so desire. Over the big, bad Internet, these
functions are not available because they are not (yet) standardized. So
in general ISPs don't look too kindly on IP multicast.

I actually did run into a situation, last week, in which I couldn't
connect to an audio stream. The server had apparently reached its limit
of connected users, or so the message said. But the workaround was easy
enough. Instead of trying to log onto the MP3 stream, I opted for the
WMP stream, and that seemed to have ports available.