[opendtv] Re: ATSC and Lip Sync

  • From: Mark Schubin <TVMark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 14:05:52 -0400

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Is this response directed to what I wrote?
My post was directed at everyone who seems to think that television broadcasters create ATSC-encoded files for program segments and commercials and then cut between them.

The standard model for TV master control is to feed continuous audio and video to ATSC encoders.  Cutting occurs before that.

FYI, for the live cinema transmissions over which I have control, we transmit more than an hour of lip-sync testing before each program and ensure that there is no interruption of the audio or video feeds from the beginning of that test transmission through the end of the show (which is tricky, because there are rehearsals going on at the same time).  We had extensive discussions with the theaters and distributors about what should comprise those test transmissions.  And, whenever there is a lip sync problem at even one theater, we analyze what happened and conduct more testing to eliminate it.

But that's not an ATSC TV station, and neither is much of what has been described on this thread.

TTFN,
Mark

---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways: - Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at FreeLists.org - By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line.