[opendtv] Re: ATSC XMTR/RECV compatibility issue?

  • From: Barry Brown <barrysb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 07:07:59 -0500

Thanks for the tip, tried it, but no joy.

Barry

On Feb 18, 2007, at 8:17 PM, Ron Economos wrote:

The signals do not have to be in-band to cause
overload. Typically, the most powerful signals
present at the input of any receiver are from
FM broadcast transmitters at 88 to 108 MHz
and paging transmitters at around 150 MHz.

I would try an FM trap. It's an inexpensive
experiment.

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/Antennas/Att1.htm

Ron

Barry Brown wrote:

After spending more than a month trying to work out an ATSC reception problem I've been having with one of my local stations, I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't some uncovered compatibility problem between some ATSC transmitters and tuners. I'm hoping someone on this list familiar with the technology can provide some information concerning the problem.

I posted here about a month ago, indicating the reception of the problem station was unstable, continuous pixillation, stuttering sound, picture freezes, and error message reports indicating "Loss of Signal". I also reported that this was not an overload condition as the station is not the strongest in my area. Also, it didn't appear due to multipath errors as the images from analog stations nearby the transmitting frequency of the DTV station were ghost free. I reported that inserting a large amount of attenuation in the antenna feed did, in fact, stabilize the receiver.

Knowing I was probably hiding the problem rather than fixing it, I began thinking that what I was doing when inserting the large amount of attenuation was actually forcing the receiver to work at its highest possible sensitivity and thereby effectively eliminating the affect of AGC controlling the RF-IF amplifiers. I researched this possibility a bit and found that ATSC does have a coherent AGC system. I theorized if there was some signal impairment in the transmitted signal, it might cause the AGC of a improperly designed receiver to become unstable.

I contacted the Director of Engineering at the station, who happens be responsible for at least two area DTV stations, one of which I receive without any problem and told him of my concerns. He related he saw no difference in the transmitted signals from both of these stations using his standard monitoring equipment.

My questions are:

1. Does my thinking seem reasonable?
2. If so, what type of signal impairment might cause the local AGC to be unstable? 3. What procedure should be used to visualize then correct the problem at the transmitter, or 4. What receiver modifications can be implemented to stabilize the AGC?

BTW, this is not an isolated case. My problem receiver is a Dish Vip622 and many of them are having similar problems in various parts of the country but it seems always with only one station in the market.

Will appreciate whatever input you can give to help resolve this problem.