[opendtv] Re: ATSC STBs

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:02:37 -0500

John Golitsis wrote:

> So in the end, the product sells, but the selling
> price is nowhere  near the original retail...the
> retail that would have made everybody in the
> distribution chain some money.  Do you think the
> original importer of those Accurian boxes made a
> profit?

No. But I think that an Accurian built with state of the art components
today would sell for that same close-out price, "under $100," *and* make
a profit. That's the point. At that price, they sold very very well. Yet
all we see is old technology that works poorly and costs more,
unadvertized, and frequently out of stock.

The Digital Streams and Samsungs, at $229 to $249 respectively, are not
being discounted. Old, more expensive technology, at old prices, which
are above what it takes to create strong demand.

> So again I ask... who's the target customer is for
> an ATSC STB??

All of the still satisfied OTA users out there, with a combination of
old NTSC CRTs or newer ED/HD monitors they are using for DVDs and OTA
TV.

Say, 40 to 70+ million sets, which will be around for several years
still.

Or, they could be coerced to a service they don't really want.