[opendtv] Re: ATSC STBs

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:19:09 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>John Golitsis wrote:
>

>>You have to first consider who the customer for an
>>ATSC STB would be.  I can't say I really have an
>>answer for that.  At first, it was the
>>enthusiast/hobbiest.  That market would be pretty
>>much saturated by now.
>>

>It's really hard for me to judge whether that market is saturated yet.
>The reason being, all I see is how these STBs, and other OTA items, keep
>selling out and not being replaced. Not just in the stores themselves,
>but also in the web sites of these stores. This includes antennas and
>antenna distribution amps (with UHF band). You need to go to specialized
>web sites to find this stuff anymore. This wasn't the case until very
>recently.
>

>>If I have a non-integrated HD-capable display today
>>with no HD signal source, is an ATSC STB my best
>>choice?
>>

>But why should retailers and CE vendors only care about somone's idea of
>a "best choice?" What's wrong with plain old choice, as you get in any
>other CE product?
>
>Craig searches left and right to find a "bad guy" to blame, much as I
>do, and IMO is unconvincing in his explanations. And the simple fact
>remains that even this 15 to 20 percent low-ball estimate is still a LOT
>of TV sets. DBS was functioning quite well with that percentage of the
>market.
>
>And yet, if OTA TV exists at all in the US, it is not thanks to the vast
>majority of retailers and their so-called "expert" sales critters, or to
>broadcasters, or to CE vendor advertisements and product availablility.
>It's almost a miracle the market is as big as it is.
>
>Bob Miller wrote:
>

>>I think there is nothing wrong with these companies.
>>They seem to be very rational. No one is interested
>>in OTA in the US so no one is interested.
>>
>>It seems so incredibly obvious to me.
>>

>It seems incredibly obvious to me that anyone who thinks this should not
>expect DVB-T to make any difference.
>
>Bert

Lots of companies would produce, advertise, otherwise promote and sell
tens of millions of DVB-T and H devices and they would also be very
rational if these or other modulations were allowed.

The moment a decent modulation was allowed numerous business plans would
be in place that simply can't exist today. They would resemble but
surpass current offerings in such countries as the UK.

Consumers would make the rational decision to buy these products in
record numbers just like they are doing in other countries.

What is irrational is to think that the US is somehow so different when
the only real difference is the distraction from OTA that must carry
offers broadcasters.

Bob Miller