[opendtv] Re: ATSC STBs

  • From: John Golitsis <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:30:06 -0500

You have to first consider who the customer for an ATSC STB would
be.  I can't say I really have an answer for that.  At first, it was
the enthusiast/hobbiest.  That market would be pretty much saturated
by now.  If I have a non-integrated HD-capable display today with no
HD signal source, is an ATSC STB my best choice?  Probably not.  Who
does that leave?  The person with a 27" display using NTSC off-air
today?  How many is that?

I realise I'm "nobody" but I certainly did try to get the
broadcasters on this list to get a jump on cable and offer and
promote HD when cable was still in a "no HD" stance.  They could have
drove demand for STBs at that time and I'm sure you'd see many more
roof-top antenna today.  Sadly, many of them thought they had bigger
fish to fry.