[opendtv] Re: ATI equivalent to 5th gen LG?

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:37:27 -0800

Bert wrote:
>The
> other parameters, e.g. adjacent channel selectivity,
> sensitivity, dynamic range, dynamic echo tolerance,
> are not substantially better than older receivers, and
> could most likely stand improvement still. But
> evidently, these other factors were not the weakest
> links.

I certainly agree that multipath is the major DTV reception impediment,
particularly given that new "science" is required to resolve this very
tricky issue. Good RF design is a known and available quantity but I don't
believe that Zenith has released specifications for the tested 5th Gen
receiver. Therefore we likely can't make a judgement as to how much that
receiver's front end might also have contributed to it's success in
Baltimore and New York, which are tough RF areas.  Does anyone know details
of the Zenith receiver's specs?

Clearly a DTV receiver requires improved RF front end performance, relative
to analog, to assure that the lowest possible TOV C/N is achieved when
operating in the soon to be "packed" RF environment. The standard Analog
version of today, which was designed for operation in the FCC managed UHF
spectrum or even worse, in the cable environment, is simply not sufficiently
robust.