[opendtv] Re: AFRTS broadcasts NTSC around the world..

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:00:44 -0800

Holl ands wrote:
>>FYI: U.S. Military (not NATO, but can be on a NATO or other base) operates
AFRTS (Armed Forces Radio and Television System), which primarily consists
of several satellite transponder channels, which are in NTSC format for
compatibility with U.S. Service member's TVs.  They can be received either
1) directly via a SAT Receiver (e.g. SciAtl D9234 et.al.), 2) via an on-base
cable system via STB or in some places 3) via low power on-air
transmissions:<<

        Happy to hear about this major AFRTS upgrade, however that wasn't always
the case. During my association with AFRTS in the 60s and early 70s,
military stations broadcast on television channels assigned by the host
nation. There were no satellite* feeds and programming was shipped to
stations weekly: Kinescope for current U.S. network fare, movies on 16mm
film and the occasional 2" video tape. Station operations included live
studio production for local news, sports and current affairs.
All broadcasts were in B&W until 1973 when we constructed the first AFRTS
color studios and network in the Philippines.

* The first satellite program feeds that I recall were arranged thru
Intelstat and the Philippines Telephone Co. to deliver NCA Basketball finals
to our network station at Clark AFB, which we aired live and taped for
distribution (2" tape) the next day to other AFRTS stations in Asia.

Dale