[opendtv] Re: ABC 2nd screen streaming using Unicorm Media

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:43:31 -0500

At 11:48 AM -0800 1/22/13, Kon Wilms wrote:
'Flash' uses H264. The transport is HDS, but the codecs are H264/AAC/MP3. 'Flash' delivery has been using these codecs for years now (the transition began around 2008 IIRC, and I have yet to see or deal with VP6). Decoded in hardware.

I used to see many sites using VP6 - you could tell because the fans started running and the laptop started to warm up...

But I agree, you see far less of this today; my guess is that it just makes sense to use a hardware accelerated algorithm with decent licensing terms.

We're talking about Video, not page compositions. But if you want to go there, maybe you should update your info again, in that Flash has used hardware acceleration for 2D and 3D imaging for quite a while now.

We started talking about video, however, as I indicated yesterday, I was referring to FLASH as an authoring platform for the Internet versus HTML5. And yes, 2D and 3D hardware acceleration has been used widely for much of the past decade.

As much as I personally dislike Flash as a technology, it's not fair to flat out fib about what it can and can not do.

Not sure where I was fibbing. I think we have just been confusing the issue of hardware acceleration for video versus hardware acceleration for graphics.

I've been following this particular area for decades. There were many venture funded companies playing in this area in the late '80s and early '90s. Macromedia Director emerged as the "leader" in this area, but it, along with others were all bleeding money. This led to their consolidation at Macromedia; eventually Adobe bought Marcomedia, developing Director and FLASH to serve different market segments. At the same time, HTML was still very immature and FLASH found a highly viable market niche as a more capable alternative. The rest is history...

Your iPad that has no WebGL acceleration.

Not exactly

Actually, iOS does use WebGL, but only for the iAd service. This may be one of those cases that Bert likes to talk about where Apple is dragging its feet to feather its' own nest. But it is likely that Apple will support WebGL as HTML5 matures.

In the case of Flash embeds, you should blame the web weenies destroying your browser with a hundred flash applet embeds, and not the technology.

I totally agree!

FWIW, one easy way to prevent this is to NOT SUPPORT FLASH.

On the other hand, I see a new strategy emerging with Apps on both iOS and Android. Free Apps are increasing ad supported and limited in functionality versus the paid version that adds features and kills the ads.

I guess everything has its price...

I should remind you that webkit is not Apple's. It is an open source project that began on the KDE Linux desktop as a KDE-specific browser. Yes Apple contributes substantially, but let's not simply start calling this Apple's technology, cause that's underhanded.

My bad. I am aware of the history, but it is very common for analysts to tie Webkit and Apple.

The important take away is that Apple does seem to be using and supporting industry standards, and contributing to them.

Rubbish to unique wrappers.

Fair enough.

Yes to iOS is still more popular, especially for media companies. But that's probably because the trend I see is that they ask for iOS before they ask for Android apps. They fear the fragmented Android marketplace, and seem to think iOS is 'more secure'. Which amuses me greatly. :)

There is no question about the fragmentation issues with Android. This can create a lot of work for App developers, with little reward. Apple is paying out some real money to developers, and they have hundreds of millions of customers with credit cards on file.

Makes one wonder why Apple does not license iOS...

As for security, my iDevices have never been compromised; but then again I've only had one virus on my Macs, the Microsoft Word scripting virus in the '90s. I think the better term to use about the iOS ecosystem is that it is curated; and many parents like the tools Apple supplies for managing iTunes accounts and iOS devices.