[opendtv] Re: ABC 2nd screen streaming using Unicorm Media

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 09:22:05 -0800

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 4:52 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ABC will provide Sunday and Monday, along side traditional broadcast
> services. What is missing here - for now - is the ability to ALSO do all of
> this via the one way forward broadcast channel , with the Internet used
> only for the interactive and social networking components. That is,
> broadcasters, if and when they develop a viable transmission infrastructure
> to service mobile devices, could choose a few profiles that would reach a
> wide range of mobile devices and include them in their data multiplex.

Maybe simultaneous one-way (for broadcast) and adaptive/two-way (OTT)
delivery is missing from the system you refer to. But it's not missing from
the system I work on.

As for HLS transports and so on, yes many companies create derivatives so
they can push content out via HLS. I can only speak to the system I work
on, and one design decision was to be completely transport agnostic. HLS,
HDS, SS, Multicast etc are all packetized on the fly (only once; 'viewers'
share a stream/format if they are pulling it), and not stored on disk.
Creating derivatives does not scale, since encoding time increases
exponentially as the size of your content/transport formats increase.

Adaptive bitrate in many cases does not work over wireless and across
device profiles either, I should note.

Cheers
Kon