[opendtv] Re: A/72 goodies

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:25:10 -0400

I thought one of the satellite companies was also using 1280x1080i. If so I'm surprised that's not one of the accepted new ones.

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
What used to be called Table 3, I think, which is actually Table 6.2 of
ATSC A/53, has caused much displeasure over the years, for not allowing
enough frame formats.

Well, with H.264 all of this has changed. Check out Table 6.3 of the new
A/72 standard. It adds:

25 Hz and 50 Hz frame/field rates,

and frame formats

176 X 120
352 X 240
352 X 480
528 X 480
544 X 480
720 X 480
1440 X 1080

over and above what A/53 already lists.

704 and 720 horizontal can optionally be used for 4:3 or 16:9 aspect
ratios. But formats less than 704 horizontal are always 4:3, and greater
than 720 horizontal are always 16:9.

But even more exciting, among these choices is now 1080 at 50p and 1080
at 60p. Wow.

So, does anyone really think that AVC in ATSC is only slated for use
with the M/H standard?