[opendtv] Re: A new aspect of the FCC's new mission to destroy over the air television

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 07:20:16 -0500

At 10:40 AM -0800 12/19/08, John Willkie wrote:
No, I saw no replies when I read the item.  I've gone back, and they have
removed the link to his blog, but retained the language which refers to it.
He seems to doubt that it was possible.  I guess the stations made it up.

No, he did not doubt that there was interference - but he did question the conclusion of the chief engineer in the original post.

The reasoning is that the FCC rules provide more than adequate safeguards to prevent this kind of interference. he claims that if the device(s) being tested were in compliance with the FCC rules there would not have been any interference. Thus he suggests that someone was doing something that was not in compliance, such are illegal power levels.

He noted, as have others, the need for accurate data bases of the transponder frequencies being used in each market. If this information is available and the FCC rules are followed there should be no interference. This seems plausible given the reality that there have not be any reports of interference in the markets where "legal" devices were being tested.

In short, anyone can produce signals that may interfere with existing services - that's why the FCC has a compliance bureau and investigates problems like this to catch the people who don;t follow the rules.