[opendtv] A detailed look at the iPhone 4 antenna issue

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 06:55:08 -0400

For those who like to look at issues with an eye toward the technical details, I found the following review of the iPhone 4, and in particular the best analysis of the "death grip" antenna issue. The review is long and detailed. The antenna analysis in on the second page (of 16).

The analysis clearly shows that all phones experience signal attenuation based on the way they are held. The iPhone 4 does have a vulnerability when the antennas are bridged by a finger, however, with a bumper case the problem goes away and the reception is (according to this review), the best of any iPhone yet.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/1

I personally cannot imagine owning a fine instrument like this and not using a protective case. My 1st generation iPhone has taken a tumble multiple times, including falling off the back of my truck at 55 mph. And the rubber case improves ones grip on what is otherwise a rather smooth and easy to drop device.

What is really amazing about this saga is how analysts and the tech press use situations like this to manipulate the market. Sadly, while the medium has changed, it seems that its still about ratings. Now its the number of page hits you can generate for a story, which in turn drives ad "impressions," which is the basis for how one gets paid...