[opendtv] Re: A bit OT: 24 Frames Drop Frame Timecode

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:51:01 -0800

John & Russ;

I appreciate the feedback, and I'll leave the math to you.  I have only the
merest experience in writing to time code.

I'd be interested in knowing why Russ feels he needs 23.976, since it
apparently isn't a valid frame rate for SMPTE time code.

However, here's my proposed solution.  Use the scheme I proposed for 29.97
(taken from the MPEG-2 video spec), and, for every 5 frames at 29.97 fps,
count 4 frames at 23.976.

80% of 30 is 24, so this is probably how all those devices that convert time
code do the conversion.

And, thankfully, nothing in this requires the use of fractions or
microsecond calculations.

Let me know if the math work out.  I have no problem with fractions, but I
tend to only use integers in my coding.

I'll leave for others which is the easiest to implement in practice and
code.

John Willkie
www.EtherGuideSystems.com