[opendtv] Re: A bit OT: 24 Frames Drop Frame Timecode

  • From: "Russ Wood" <russ.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:43:14 -0000

John, thanks.

Our customers are the captioning houses, they have been given
pre-encoded videos at 23.97 by their customers and told to produce
captions/subtitles to 23.97 drop-frame.

Their customers may be wrong in their request - but they are customers
so we owe them a duty to fully investigate before we say no!

The more responses I get from the guys on this list and from
manufacturers like Evertz that there is no such thing as 23.97 DF (yet)
the happier I am - on the other hand I would like to see an upgrade to
the SMPTE 12M that allows us to satisfy these requests and will
contribute if asked.

I read a couple of the Masked Engineer's articles - I will read more
when I have a few moments.

Russ