[opendtv] Re: A Station Group with a Future

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 08:26:51 -0500

Not that this comes as a surprise, John, but you need to have your RAM checked, as your memory is seriously flawed.

At 6:35 PM -0800 1/31/07, John Willkie wrote:
The digital cliff is obvious and broadcasters are defending the NTSC
franchise AND global warming is caused by Bush?
Wow.

And, I thought that it was cable interests that told their customers to call
their representatives yesterday and today to try to get the FCC -- fat
chance, even with the hearing tomorrow -- to somehow (as if they had the
jurisdiction) force Sinclair and MediaCom (putting aside the Buffalo CBS
affiliate and Time-Warner)  into binding arbitration.

The digital cliff is clearly not something that today is facing
broadcasters, unlike the clear, obvious and perilous digital cliff that is
facing cablers, who truly are "defending the NTSC franchise" and will
continue to do so (if they can get the digital into analog retrans rights)
after analog over the air ceases in the United States.

This is so f*******l funny with you, Craig.  You said that AOL Time-Warner
wouldn't create a walled garden, but they did.  And, you kept on saying that
they didn't.  Now, as they start to emerge from that walled garden a bit
(free AOL accounts, etc) you are silent about it.  I guess your rhetoric has
moved on and ignores all contrary external events.

You are so intent on defending your windy, 'hopeful' rhetoric that you can't
see what is happening.

However, I do detect a glimmer: you have recognized that Gainesville is a
college town, and perhaps you noticed that Nielsen announced this week that
they will start surveying college students.  At some point in the future,
you will realize that as pertains to over the air TV, that survey change
will start to bring Gainesville out of the TV doldrums.

I can't wait for your commentary on the BIG changes that will come about
when CBS renegotiates retrans agreements for O&O stations.
"Something is happening here, and you don't know what it is, do you, Mr.
<Jones.>"

John Willkie
EtherGuide Systems

Isn't it time to chuck that idiot PSIP generator?  www.EtherGuideSystems.com