[opendtv] Re: A Station Group with a Future

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 09:44:56 -0500

When the cave man looked out of his cave he could have said the same
thing. My God there are animals out there that could kill me and he
could have cowered in his cave and starved to death.

Chaos theory suggest that even a butterfly can create a hurricane.
Seven billion humans could burn all the trees in the world this
weekend if we put our minds to it. We could set off 20 thousand
nuclear devices.

And in the next 10,000 years if we put our pea brains to work on it we
could cause the earth to change its orbit, self destruct or whatever
we put our minds to doing.

It doesn't take much audacity or anything else to see that we can and
will change the climate of the earth, just a wee bit of common sense.

The trick is to see how we are changing the earth and a bigger trick
is to see how we might influence those changes.

But even if we are NOT affecting the earth in any way change is
inevitable and we should be doing everything we can to find out how to
control this planet. Or we could just retreat to the back of the cave
and say we can't do anything about it.

Maybe we should be pumping more CO2 into the air not less or maybe we
should be building lifeboats to take us somewhere else if there is no
hope, as you suggest, here.

IMO we are about doing not accepting. If there is a God he gave us a
brain for something. If there isn't a God we better start working
harder.

Bob Miller

On 2/3/07, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 12:30 PM -0500 2/2/07, Bob Miller wrote:
>I think they are still saying that. Global warming could bring on a
>snowball result. The Earth completely frozen.
>
>http://www-eps.harvard.edu/people/faculty/hoffman/snowball_paper.html
>
>Whether or not humans have had any affect on the climate so far we
>should be doing everything we can to be able to do so in the future
>since it looks like change is inevitable.
>
>If we don't learn how to manage the Earth it will definitely kill us off.

I certainly believe in being "good stewards." But
humans and their activities are barely
significant when compared to the forces that
control our environment.

In my lifetime I have witnessed some of the
awesome forces that "Mother Nature" can unleash
upon us. I traveled through the REGION a year
after Mt St. Helens erupted in 1980. It was a
humbling experience. I 1991, Mt. Pinatuba filled
the stratosphere with aerosols creating a global
layer of sulfuric acid haze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Pinatubo

The effects of the eruption were felt worldwide.
It injected large amounts of aerosols into the
stratosphere-more than any eruption since that of
Krakatoa in 1883. Over the following months, the
aerosols formed a global layer of sulfuric acid
haze. Global temperatures dropped by about 0.5 °C
(0.9 °F), and ozone destruction increased
substantially.

  I have seen the aftermath of California
earthquakes and mudslides, and held glass doors
against the force of 160 MPH hurricane winds.

And I have witnessed the birth of the new religion of "environmentalism."

It takes a great deal of audacity to believe and
claim that humans are changing the global climate.