[opendtv] Re: A Station Group with a Future

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 07:55:32 -0500

At 12:30 PM -0500 2/2/07, Bob Miller wrote:
I think they are still saying that. Global warming could bring on a
snowball result. The Earth completely frozen.

http://www-eps.harvard.edu/people/faculty/hoffman/snowball_paper.html

Whether or not humans have had any affect on the climate so far we
should be doing everything we can to be able to do so in the future
since it looks like change is inevitable.

If we don't learn how to manage the Earth it will definitely kill us off.

I certainly believe in being "good stewards." But humans and their activities are barely significant when compared to the forces that control our environment.

In my lifetime I have witnessed some of the awesome forces that "Mother Nature" can unleash upon us. I traveled through the REGION a year after Mt St. Helens erupted in 1980. It was a humbling experience. I 1991, Mt. Pinatuba filled the stratosphere with aerosols creating a global layer of sulfuric acid haze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Pinatubo

The effects of the eruption were felt worldwide. It injected large amounts of aerosols into the stratosphere-more than any eruption since that of Krakatoa in 1883. Over the following months, the aerosols formed a global layer of sulfuric acid haze. Global temperatures dropped by about 0.5 °C (0.9 °F), and ozone destruction increased substantially.

I have seen the aftermath of California earthquakes and mudslides, and held glass doors against the force of 160 MPH hurricane winds.

And I have witnessed the birth of the new religion of "environmentalism."

It takes a great deal of audacity to believe and claim that humans are changing the global climate.