[opendtv] Re: A Station Group with a Future

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 20:28:30 -0800

People tend to wait in line at tortilla shops.  Now, they fume.  Tortillas
are to Mexicans what bread, meat and potatoes are to the folks in El Norte.

I assume that gal made her tortillas by hand.  In restaurants in Mexico, it
is considered gauche to not make the tortillas in front of you.  Then, the
food is slapped onto them, and they're gone within a few minutes or two of
manufacture.

The law of unintended consequences at work again.  This is largely caused by
laws that artificially distort the market in the U.S. to encourage ethanol
in gasoline.

I heard a report on the BBC yesterday where a UCLA scientist with an accent
said that it takes more energy to process and distribute Ethanol into fuel
than it provides, and the end-game will be third-world countries that burn
off their rain forests to increase acreage for corn and to process it into
fuel.  Of course, the increased dust will heat up the upper atmosphere
(since most of our heat comes from the Sun), but make temperatures cooler
near the surface.

 John Willkie

  _____