[opendtv] Re: A Perfect Storm Hits Media Businesses

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 09:46:15 -0400

At 6:19 PM -0400 9/5/09, Albert Manfredi wrote:
I submit to you that even those who watch a given series every week MAY not be inclined to do so if they had to pay $24 or $50 just for that one show. I suggest that most TV watching is done to relax, not necessarily because one is an avid fan of the show, akin to "trekkies."

The typical cable/DBS home today is spending $50 - $70 per month just for TV services - broadband is on top of that.

That's $600 to $900 per year. You can buy a lot of programs for that!

In general, certainly I agree. On the other hand, with DTV, this has suddenly become possible for news and weather, EVEN OTA. I can tune in any time of day or night and get excellent 24-hour news channels that give diverse points of view. It's great to have our MHz Networks station 10 multicasts. Always something to watch.

Nice but a bit late. This brings DTV broadcasters up to par with where cable has been for two decades. But neither offer information on demand like the Internet.

Like who won the game that did not end before I went to bed last night.

With TV it could take 10-15 minutes to find out. With the Internet, less than a minute.

Right. And my bet is, she isn't watching pay TV over the Internet. You should set her up with OTA DTV.

She mentioned Hulu. I could help her set up a DTV receiver, however, I'm not certain that it offers enough programming that she wants to justify the expense.

Thanks for making my point, Craig. Things evolve, and they have always evolved toward NOT paying per the event. Whether it's telephone, cellular phones, or TV over the Internet, over cable. You pay a flat fee for all the service you care to use, only difffernetiaing bundles for MVPDs.

Rubbish!

Tell that to the movie industry or the video game industry - each are still generating more that $20 billion annually although the home video segment is declining as paid Internet downloads replace DVD and Cable/DBS pay per view.

Consumers are spending more for their entertainment fixes today than at ANY time in U.S. history. The trend is NOT to free, except for those who view pirated media, either because they have limited expendable incomes or because they think the media o are making too much money and this is their way to fight back.

Internet distribution of music and TV has been successful because the vast majority of it is free, aside from the flat broadband hookup fee. If you start charging for it, you watch as people either don't use the service, or they drop theri MVPD subscriptions.

Hmmm...

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6660103.html

According to NPD Group, just 3% of consumers said they bought a permanent movie download for their PC or TV in recent months. Yet 7% said they digitally rented a movie from an online source for their computers and TV sets.

When NPD asked people where they bought a download-to-own movie in the past six months, 65% said iTunes. Amazon.com's Video on Demand was runner-up at 17%. PlayStation Store was third, and both Vudu and CinemaNow marginally registered in the survey.

Of people surveyed who said they had digitally rented movies, 68% said they did so from Netflix. Next came iTunes at 21%, followed by Xbox Live. PlayStation Store and Amazon Video on Demand had single-digit percentage showings. Similarly, Vudu and CinemaNow did not have a significant presence in the survey's rental portion.

http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2007/01/29/report-tv-movie-download-revenues-to-hit-6-3-billion-in-2012

Or how about this report Bert?

Report: TV, Movie Download Revenues to Hit $6.3 Billion in 2012
Authored by Mark Hefflinger on January 29, 2007 - 10:45am.

London - Fueled by broadband penetration, revenues from legitimate movie and TV show download services are expected to grow tenfold to $6.3 billion in 2012, according to a report from market research firm Informa Telecoms and Media.

Services such as Apple's iTunes Store, which sells TV shows and more recently, movies, along with Google Video, Movielink and others will benefit from an increasing number of global households with high-speed Internet access.

However, Informa warned, some media firms have been reluctant to embrace online television, a remnant of the piracy fears realized by the music industry.

"Companies that do not make their content available online will suffer most from the effects of piracy," said Informa media research manager Adam Thomas.

You're advocating going back to the old model, as far as I can tell. Paying per event.

Wrong. The old model was to pay for advertiser supported content at the check-out counter or to go to the theater. That was augmented with cable/DBS and direct sales and rentals with the introduction of the VCR and later with DVDs.

Now all of this is moving to digital networked distribution. And yes, it is moving toward a more direct link between the viewer and the content owner. The viewer now has multiple options:

The MPVD - all the crap you can eat for a monthly fee. Like the cheap all-you-can-eat buffets, you pay for everything and only eat a small portion of what is offered.

Pay to view (rental)

Pay to own (DVD and now digital download)

Targeted ad supported - less ads because they are more relevant and the advertiser knows who is watching.

It's ALL ABOUT news ways to ge3t a piece of a very large revenue pie.