[opendtv] Re: A Clue re OTA DTV users: How many OTA?

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:40:04 -0500

On 12/14/06, Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Cliff wrote:

>but the basic nature of television has changed and therefore
>the old, unaccomodating delivery system should either change
>as well or be discontinued altogether in favor of cable, satellite
>or fiber.

On the contrary, all the systems you mention are umbillical, meaning that
not only are you beholden to one monopoly, but also to a single point of
failure. On the other hand, with OTA radio or TV, you have a system which is
inherently redundant, and over which multiple networks can and do compete.

Especially if you build a redundant SFN network with all channels
sharing the multiple transmit sites. Current single stick high powered
system represent single points of failure, World Trade Center for
example.

Marconi would turn over in his grave if he thought people were going back to
wired umbillical schemes. I always thought of cable as an anachronism.

Cable is an anachronism. OTA will dominate but we need the best tools.

With 8-VSB or 64-QAM, you can have plenty adequate choice to satisfy most
people. Aside from Gainesviille, most markets have at least 6 local channels
to choose from. Each of these can transmit at least 3 multicasts, at least
one of which can be HD, or 5-6 if they are SD. And there are 24 hours a day,
and PVRs and DVDRs. And no labor-intensive infrastructure involved in this.
There is no reason why 24 hours/day can't be used productively. I seriously
doubt than this sort of OTA system can't please any but the most avid of
conspicuous consumers.

With 8-VSB it will please very few consumers. Mobile, fixed and
portable works. An SFN network composed of low powered solid state
redundant transmitters is not labor intensive or fragile. 24/7 works
especially when you have the best codec available. Each station will
be able to deliver two times what MPEG2 can now and more later.

Time to get the right tools and design the right sort of network.

Even if you need cables for broadband Internet and telephone access, these
cables are greatly simplified if they don't have to carry the huge
bandiwidth needed for (HD)TV signals. And you have the redundant
infotainment system.

Don't need cable for telephone or broadband Internet either. Telephone
we know since most of us carry a cell phone. Internet will be
dominated by broadband wireless in the last mile long term.

Bob Miller