[opendtv] Re: A Clue re OTA DTV users: How many OTA?

  • From: Steve Wilson <stevenjwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:05:14 -0500

I don't buy this....I couldn't follow Richards count, or how many digital programs can fit in US bands, but most of the channels on cable (don't know about satellite) are junk. Thats why the cable operators wont unbundle them. Anything worth watching after the networks is going to be avaiable through a broadband connection anyway. The customers of the future *are not* going to pay for content the way they do today. They will pay for open channels and the ability to pick and choose what they want.

flyback1 wrote:

Richard Hollandsworth wrote:

Can't very well simply broadcast all of those cable channels via OTA

I didn't think it could be done.

It might have worked years ago before there were so many  hundreds of
programs available,
but the basic nature of television has changed and therefore the old,
unaccomodating delivery system should either change as well
or be discontinued altogether in favor of cable, satellite or fiber.