[opendtv] Re: A Clue re OTA DTV users: How many OTA?

  • From: flyback1 <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:53:28 -0500

Albert Manfredi wrote:

Cliff wrote:

but the basic nature of television has changed and therefore
the old, unaccomodating delivery system should either change
as well or be discontinued altogether in favor of cable, satellite
or fiber.

On the contrary, all the systems you mention are umbillical, meaning that not only are you beholden to one monopoly, but also to a single point of failure.

You mean transmitters don't fail and towers don't fall? What happens if the studio/transmitter link, still sometimes a phone line should experience a backhoe fade?

On the other hand, with OTA radio or TV, you have a system which is inherently redundant, and over which multiple networks can and do compete.

Didn't you read: Richard Hollandsworth wrote: "Can't very well simply broadcast all of those cable channels via OTA..."

So OTA cannot compete. It can't carry half of what's on cable.

Marconi would turn over in his grave if he thought people were going back to wired umbillical schemes. I always thought of cable as an anachronism.

Marconi's system cannot deal with the number of programs I can have over cable, FIOS and two satellite services IF I want to pay for them.

With 8-VSB or 64-QAM, you can have plenty adequate choice to satisfy most people.

I'm not most people. I like to watch steam train videos played by RFD-TV, operas and symphonys played by the Classic Arts Network and scientific programming from TLC, Discovery and others, and some sports but not HBO, or CNN or most of the 'popular' programming carried by cable, etc.

Aside from Gainesviille, most markets have at least 6 local channels to choose from.

What about Elkins, West Virginia? Smallish town that sits deep in a valley with mountains on all sides. 5 listings for radio stations, one of which is currently vacant, and NO TV stations.

Each of these can transmit at least 3 multicasts, at least one of which can be HD, or 5-6 if they are SD. And there are 24 hours a day, and PVRs and DVDRs. And no labor-intensive infrastructure involved in this. There is no reason why 24 hours/day can't be used productively. I seriously doubt than this sort of OTA system can't please any but the most avid of conspicuous consumers.

You have found at least one.

Even if you need cables for broadband Internet and telephone access, these cables are greatly simplified if they don't have to carry the huge bandiwidth needed for (HD)TV signals. And you have the redundant infotainment system.

For several years I had DirecPC, high speed internet download over satellite. It's downside is sending anythng out is limited [by their old one-way system]
to 56K over the phone line.

Cliff