[opendtv] Re: A Clue re OTA DTV users: How many OTA?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:33:44 -0500

Cliff wrote:

> You mean transmitters don't fail and towers don't fall? What
> happens if the studio/transmitter link, still sometimes a phone
> line should experience a backhoe fade?

Yes, but in typical OTA networks, you have multiple transmitters and
multiple studios to choose from. Even if one fails, you can dial into
others. There are no single points of failure. Not even in your home, if
you own more than one TV set and perhaps a rabbit ear antenna.

Compare this with any cable or DBS setup. There are tons of single
points of failure. (I.e. points along a network which, if any one should
fail, will cut you off completely.)

In NYC on 9/11, even though most broadcasters depended on the one single
point of failure, the transmitter tower on the WTC, CBS did not, nor did
the stations in NJ. Hence, even in that somewhat unusual architecture,
OTA TV did not fail.

> What about Elkins, West Virginia? Smallish town that sits deep
> in a valley with mountains on all sides. 5 listings for radio
> stations, one of which is currently vacant, and NO TV stations.

This sort of rural setting exists in Europe too. The only difference is
that over here, for whatever reason, people have relied on CATV systems
more than translators, to obtain coverage in such communities. So
coverage can be achieved, if there were a will to do so.