[opendtv] Re: 8-VSB vs ??

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 23:26:21 -0500

Hey, criticizing 8vsb is one of the things that has kept this list going for years.

In a month we are going to be given a chance to do it in earnest, assuming the whole thing is not somehow filibustered one more time. And I think the Obama administration could make hay of a fact finding mission to determine what really happened when they re-evaluated COFDM back in 2001. It would be good theater allowing first a search for the guilty and then a search for a solution.

It is pretty much a done deal that we will be using 8vsb. But it is not yet proven it will be a success or that we will never allow anything else.

But feel free to use a kill file if it seems appropriate. Heck, feel free to tell all your friends they have no right to complain about reception if they are not willing to put up a 30' rooftop rotor antenna.

Let us know how that works for you.

8vsb is far from perfect. Some aspects may be fixable or already fixed. Some may not be.

About one more month!  ;-)

- Tom

Richard C. Ramsden wrote:
8-VSB
It is the law in the US, and has been for a decade.
Could people please stop complaining, and just deal with it.
At this point thinking that it could change is naive at best. I won't say what at worst is.

Do I really need to make a kill file for people on this list?