[opendtv] Re: 70th Anniversary Blu-ray and standard DVDs of the Wizard of Oz

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 11:42:21 -0400

I prefer keeping close to the correct aspect ratio with only minimal
stretching as I don't like watching TV where all the pretty girls look
fat.   And in the USA much/most SD is sent 4:3 so pillar boxing is
common and probably best for me.

Though when it was a 4:3 source pillar boxed into 16:9 back on my old
4:3 RPTV I could zoom it using my PC so I at least didn't have to watch
it window boxed with black bars on all 4 sides.

In many ways though a 4:3 picture is so low quality when blown up on a
very large screen that window boxing actually looked a bit better past a
certain size.   I still tend to watch things like low rez You Tube
content in a window instead of full screen for that reason.

- Tom