[opendtv] Re: 7" ATSC TV

  • From: Steve Wilson <stevenjwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:29:19 -0400

Companies like Honhai often float "products" in hopes of finding buyers (not consumers, retail buyers) - they want to show their readiness to introduce such products when (or if) needed.  Can you buy one ?  Try to find one .....

Whether you can find one or not, one thing is pretty clear.  No one is buying them (small, portable TV's) in the US in any meaningful quantity.  In Europe, I suspect they are more popular.  OTA TV is more generally accepted - people know what it is.  Here its history...people have come to expect that good TV pictures comes from wires, not antennas.

Small analog TV's never took off here (in the US).  Why?  Hard to see them outside.  Poor battery life.  Unreliable reception.   Poor image quality.  I never had one...probably others.

Whats the impact of the modulation on this?  Well, if it supports a system that results in a satisfactory product (ie. there is a market for such a device), then who cares about it?  If the "system" doesnt work (as in the analog case), look for the weak points in the system - the signal chain is certainly a key piece.  And all this assumes, US customers find value in such a device.  Otherwise, who cares.....

Seems to me the ATSC signaling system has yet to prove itself and there are going to be 10 millions or more digital tuners in homes that aren't very robust.  And what the TV mfrs care?  Just gives them another reason to sell a new TV.  What do the cable or satellite guys care?  The only people who care are broadcasters (and smart consumers).  Of course, even if they had a good infrastructure to work with (as opposed to a potentially good one), they would be battling every technologist trying to snarf and cut adds from the bitstream.  The business is riddled with issues.....the signalling methodology is just one.

I would agree 8-VSB isnt going anywhere for a while.  Other things will come into play so that other companies (ahh...broadcasters?) can deliver video over the air for portable and mobile (read lower power and more robust) applications.  As it is, MediaFlow is about to get to crammed down our throats along with the high service fees that go with it.

So - I bet you can't find one of those.  I bet if you do, I bet you wont have any problem finding places where the reception is poor.  On the other hand, put DVB-T in the same product, take it to Europe, and I suspect it works better (ie. good reception in more places).    How much better?  I dont know....

Now - stick our hypothetical new swizzle-VSB in there, that affords coverage lets say the equivalent to what MediaFlo will have, with reliable picture quality, and I bet you will find alot more "Honhai's" floating products and companies putting products on the shelves and trying to stimulate some consumer interest.

What do you think the BOM is for something like that - the biggest cost is the panel - 1 or 2 chips - if there was actually a market it would be dirt cheap.

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

Probably couldn't actually buy one either.

Notice that they have 18 different DVB-T products
and I bet they all can be bought.

You say this why? Because you think there's a larger market in Europe
for small portable TVs? If there ever was a mrket in the US for such
small TVs, it will not disappear just because NTSC goes off the air. If
they perform as well as some of the USB receivers I've read about, the
product should sell.

If demand exists but products don't appear, I'd like a get a logical
explanation as to why.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways: - Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at FreeLists.org - By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line.