[opendtv] Re: 7" ATSC TV

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:43:21 -0400

On 4/12/07, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

>>> There is enormous capital that has to be expended to
>>> deliver 8-VSB products.

>> Sorry, nonsense. The modulation scheme does not even
>> have to appear in the advertizing, and it hardly shows
>> up in the parts list. The delta compared with selling
>> DVB-T is nil.

> No whatever you are trying to say must be nonsense. What
> delta?

Whatever marketing costs exist for ATSC also exist for DVB-T. Modulation
has no impact on that.

So what. That is not what we are talking about. Any cost associated
with a DVB-T venture in the US, if it were possible, would be
successful and therefore would be returned plus a profit. Any venture
using ATSC would be a failure and all invested capital would be lost
plus all the possible successful ventures that could have been taken
with that lost capital.

The fact that the marketing cost of a failed venture and a successful
one were similar or identical is completely irrelevant.

> You do it with DVB-T and it will be wildly successful,

And you don't see the complete failure of logic in this absolute faith
you profess? You attribute a slow market to modulation.

Yes I do and all evidence suggest I am right. Your evidence seems to
consist of "I don't know what it is but it definitely is anything but
the modulation." I am convinced that if every CE manufacturer in the
world put their hand on a Bible or Koran and testified that the reason
they are avoiding the largest and richest market in the world is
because they think our 8-VSB modulation sucks and will most likely
make any venture in the US a losing one, you would still suggest it
was some kind of vast conspiracy.

Constructive criticism may be part of the solution. Gratuitous criticism
is definitely part of the problem.

Your logic is driving me crazy. I consider it a gratuitous attack on
my immune system. Your killing me.

Your argument is utterly simple. You believe that 8-VSB is just great
or at least good enough and that CE manufacturers should agree with
you. They don't. Could it be simpler? Since they don't you say that
they all must be idiots. They are not.

You say it makes no sense for them to use their capital in a risk
averse way. They disagree. They would rather employ their capital in
those markets with the best chance for success.

Australia for example. Few potential customers, very inefficient
market, incredible number of DTV products.

I rest my case.  Again and again and again.

Bob Miller