[opendtv] Re: 6th generation

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:07:21 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

Strange. I usually figure LG announces a new miracle chip set only when
they feel they are under challenge somehow. The 5th gen never made it
to STB's and I'm not sure I could even name a 4th gen box. Why do you
think LG marketing guys decided to invent yet another generation?

I guess we're allowing LG to define what a generation is. Until I see the specs on this, I would not assume that it beats the Samsung Gemini, which we've been calling 5th gen, I think.

Possibly, they are trying to meet the 8W max power draw. Or maybe they've added A-VSB or E-VSB to the chip. The 5th gen LG has appeared in USB receivers and likely in LG's TV sets since 2004, not to mention TVs under other brand names, so they might need more ammo to go up against the newer ATI Xilleon, Samsungs, Thomson, ST, and Micronas.