[opendtv] Re: 625 video quality is good enough....

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <res0xtey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:25:18 -0700

> I'm keen to get to 50p as well, and to leave interlace as a display
> option,
> but the best way to get there has to be with a mix of 720p and 1080i so
> that
> we can get all our film and film-type production to the viewer at the best
> quality. We don't suffer from 2:3 pull-down effects in Europe, film looks
> like it should do, even though it lasts 4% less than it should (we're used
> to it).

I agree, 50/60P should be the ultimate format when technology can
accommodate. However, I don't know that it can be done in a transport
constrained to MPEG2.

I had forgotten about the advantage 50Hz countries have in the film world.
The "pull down" conversion is one the more valued features of my DTV set.