[opendtv] Re: 625 video quality is good enough....

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:45:36 -0400

At 3:51 PM +0100 10/19/04, Alan Roberts wrote:
>I agree, except that for Europe, there's no HD legacy issue to deal with
>yet, we've got a clean board. Even so, the UK's has three migrations of
>satellite decoders since BSB and Sky began, each requiring junking of the
>last set of kit. That Sky has such a high market penetration shows that a
>sizable portion of the UK public's quite happy to throw away a box that
>works in favour of a new box that provides new services. Don't underestimate
>the willingness of the buying public to keep up with progress.

Excellent point Alan!

The real challenge that broadcasters face is staying in the game with
competitors who have a huge cash flow that they can use to subsidize
new subscribers and the evolution of the platforms used by existing
subscribers. Better yet, at least here in the U.S. we have
competition in MPVD systems that is driving these upgrades.

Does anyone think that the cable industry would have deployed STBs
with PVRs, if the DBS operators had not achieved such a high level of
success with this feature? As I recall the cable guys wanted to keep
the storage in the head-end, where they could charge for every PPV
event.

Wait a minute though...

Here in the U.S. the broadcast industry has a huge cash flow too. Too
bad they are basing their technology decisions on the protection of
the legacy business, and its related cash flows, rather than
investing in the future...