[opendtv] Re: 625 video quality is good enough....

  • From: Terry Harvey <tjharvey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:54:59 -0700

At 10:17 PM 10/18/2004 +0100, Alan Roberts wrote:
>Indeed, MPEG2 would struggle, but a truly anonymous transmission system
>could carry MPEG4, WM(whatever version) etc, and by thoroughly future proof.
>What we need to standardise on is the transport stream, not the scanning
>format. Let's try to get it right this time.
>

> > I agree, 50/60P should be the ultimate format when technology can
> > accommodate. However, I don't know that it can be done in a transport
> > constrained to MPEG2.

What do you mean an MPEG2 transport cannot progressive scan??? The MPEG-2
transport can carry any data one could wish to convey.

Also, the choice between interlace and progressive scan is a no-brainer.
Interlace was novel when it was introduced in 1933, but it has no place in
a modern broadcast system.