[opendtv] Re: 6 MHz of data

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 10:03:14 -0400

On 4/27/2014 9:47 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
How much life does NTSC still have left Mark?
Define "life."

Full-power NTSC broadcast transmission in the U.S. is already dead. Via cable and satellite boxes and even digital off-air receivers, NTSC TV sets continue to be fed. When will the last one stop working and not be repaired? Who knows?

On a related subject, as of the beginning of this year, about 75% of U.S. households had at least one HDTV set (ALL of which are 16:9) and the majority of ALL U.S. TV sets were HDTV. Add to that a number of non-HDTV sets with 16:9 displays. So 4:3 displays are now in the minority, but they are still controlling program production and distribution. Networks "shoot-&-protect" 4:3, and cable operators use center-cut as their default conversion mode.

Can we PLEASE switch to 16:9? I'd much rather have a minority of sets get images horizontally squeezed by 25% than the majority get improperly framed pictures or important content lopped off the sides.

TTFN,
Mark