[opendtv] 5th-generation test

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Open DTV Forum <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 11:25:30 -0400

Bob Miller brought over the latest version (I'm not permitted to say
whose).  It was much better than last time (comparable to a good
4th-generation rather than not as good as a second generation, as the
last one was) but still nothing like the 5th-generation LG.

With a loop antenna, it seemed to be sensitive to us moving around the
room.  With a Silver Sensor, it didn't seem to be, but different antenna
orientations brought in different stations.

In all of the tests, we could get WNBC-DT, WWOR-DT, and WFUT-DT
solidly.  Depending on antenna and orientation, we could also get
WCBS-DT, WABC-DT, WNYW-DT, WPIX-DT, WXTV-DT, and WNJN-DT solidly.  In
one antenna position and orientation, the receiver sniffed WFME-DT, but
it did not appear to decode anything.  I'm not certain that was a DTT
problem.  The receiver crashed once, and once wouldn't decode WABC-DT
audio until the channel was changed and changed back.  It's also
possible the station wasn't transmitting any pictures.

Regarding numbers of channels, WNBC-DT, WNYW-DT, WABC-DT, WWOR-DT, and
WPIX-DT were all multicasting two programs.  WNJN-DT was multicasting
six channels.  WFME-DT appears to have been multicasting ten channels
(it was the last time we received it, too).  So, counting minor
channels, the receiver sniffed out at least 29 "channels."

Performance degraded the farther the antenna was from the window.

There did not appear to be much of a correlation between the "signal
strength" reading and reliability (except that when we got a signal
strength of zero we got nothing).

TTFN,
Mark