[opendtv] Re: 5th generation Test

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:34:41 -0500

Ron Economos wrote:

 > To answer Tom's question directly, yes you can add
 > a bandpass filter to the antenna input of your receiver.
 > For HF receivers, these devices are called pre-selectors
 > and (at least in the olden days) were manually tuned.
 > I don't know of any out-board tunable bandpass filters
 > for television frequencies, but manual tuning is a non-
 > starter for consumers electronics. The correct solution
 > is a tracking (electronically tuned) bandpass filter in the
 > receiver.

Ron -

Of course all that maybe belongs in the box.  But the boxes don't have
them.  I was more considering the possibility of outboard modules
because I still have not given up on convincing someone to invent my
smart set top antenna I've mentioned here before.  It could maybe fix
existing boxes for existing customers, including those with
semi-functional integrated HDTV's.  And it maybe would not be hung up in
8vsb patents.

And it might also work with computer control to make the PCHD cards in
MythTV etc. really shine.  But I have no idea how to build one.

- Tom